Here are reasons why we love the heat
and why you will too … we promise!
- Hot yoga classes are held in a studio that is heated to approximately
95 degrees and up—depending on the type of class.
- The heat warms the body’s muscles and joints, encouraging blood flow
and helping protect the body’s muscles while stretching.
- Muscles, fascia, and connective tissue become more elastic allowing
for greater flexibility with less chance of injury.
- Promotes sweating, which assists the detox process using the body’s
largest eliminating organ – the skin.
- Blood becomes thinner, clearing the circulatory system.
- When the body is warm, T-cell output from the thymus gland is
multiplied 20 fold. T-cells fight infection, in turn, keeping the immune
system functioning properly.
- Warmer temperatures produce a fluid-like stretch that allows for greater
range of motion in the joints.
- Heart rate becomes elevated, thus improving the cardiovascular system
(heart and lungs).
- Warm muscles burn fat more effectively. When we stretch, the fat has
no room to sit so it redistributes to the blood stream which we then
use as energy.
- Capillaries respond to heat by dilating. This allows more oxygen to
muscles, tissues, glands, and organs, aiding in elimination.
- Higher temps improve the function of the nervous system, meaning
that messages are carried more rapidly to and from the brain or
spinal cord (you think more clearly!).
- Improves strength because proteins are utilised more effectively.
- Speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids.
- Provides strengthening of willpower, self control, and determination
through such a challenging environment!